Bones & Body Chair
Monday, May 6th, 2013 @ 1:05 pm
Last semester I tackled wood from as many points of view as possible. I made a wave-shaped bed form using an ArborTech grinder, I made some thin bent kinetic straps, a cradle that rocked diagonally, a creature head from a basswood log, and finally, this chair. I’d been tempting myself toward furniture for some time, and had yet to make a real leap into sculpting or owning a piece, and this was it. In about three weeks, I went from log to finished upper-half of a chair (for class it wasn’t to have any legs), and am very proud of the results. The joints are still strong and tight now, months later, and once I get a chance to build stretchers into the legs it’ll be out in public and usable once again. Check out some photos below.